The free Ubuntu operating system serves as a good alternative to Windows and macOS. The open source system is very flexible and comes with a variety of pre-installed software. Programmers can further develop their programs or use them to implement their own software projects. But of course there will be times when you want to install additional programs. So how do you know if the software of your choice is compatible with your Ubuntu operating system? The version of Ubuntu you are using will be important information.
You also need to know the version of Ubuntu you are running when troubleshooting. If you include the version number in your searches on forums and blogs, you will get more specific answers to your questions. Keep reading to find out how to check your Ubuntu version.
Checking Ubuntu version in terminal
There are two ways to check your Ubuntu version in terminal. Both use simple commands entered into the command line.
Option 1: Command lsb_release -a
- Open a terminal using “Show Applications” or use the keyboard shortcut [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [T] .
- Type the command " lsb_release -a " into the command line and hit enter.
- The terminal shows the version of Ubuntu you are running under "Description" and "Release".
The command lsb_release -a shows which version of Ubuntu you are using.
Option 2: Read the contents of /etc/lsb-release
- Open a terminal using “Show Applications” or with the keyboard shortcut [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [T] .
- Type the command " c at /etc/lsb-release " into the command line and hit enter.
- The terminal shows the version of Ubuntu you are running under “DISTRIB_RELEASE” and “DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION” .
You can use the terminal to read the contents of the cat /etc/lsb-release file and see your Ubuntu version.
Checking Ubuntu version in Settings
Another way to check your Ubuntu version is in Settings. This can be done in just three clicks.
- Go to "Show Apps"
- Go to "Settings"
- When the program opens, you will see "Details" at the bottom of the left menu bar. When you click this, you will see information about your system on the right. The Ubuntu version is written in large text just below the Ubuntu logo.
Click "Details" in settings to see your Ubuntu version.